Thursday 5 December 2013

Subject snobbery.

As I have just began my A levels a very frequent question I get asked is ''what are you taking?'' On more than one occasion I have felt some people have looked at me disapprovingly when I've listed one of my subjects in particular. That subject is communication and culture, which I understand is not as traditional as some subject options but I felt that it would be a subject that goes well with my other choices and a subject that helps me with my prospective career.

Some people I have told have even laughed and commented ''that's just a doss.'' Firstly, without having taken the subject how can you draw that conclusion? Secondly, although I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion I think you should use the initiative to know whether or not it is appropriate to express it. I don't believe that you should feel you have to take traditional subjects if you know the career path you want to take. Personally I don't think quadratic equations are going to be much use when you want to write an article on the EU referendum. Sadly it's not just individuals that are guilty of this snobbery but institutions as well.

As an A level student I like to be prepared so I have taken the time to research some university courses I have interest in and I have become aware that some of the most prestigious universities are culpable of restricting who can join their course based on subject choice as well as grades. This may seem fair and maybe almost obvious but what I mean is for example if I wanted to study law some universities don't state any specific essential subjects. However you are not considered for the course unless you have taken two facilitating or 'traditional' A levels. Now if there is not any essential subjects to study to be able to take a law degree I don't see why it should be necessary for you to have taken at least two traditional subjects as long as you're grades are good.

It's a shame that even by working hard at a subject you take interest in and chose to study sometimes it isn't enough and that an A* in Chemistry equates more to some people than an A* in Communication and Culture. Of course some subjects are typically more demanding and difficult than others but hard work and success should be acknowledged and valued for any subject not just some.

No comments:

Post a Comment